Skip to main content

If You Don't Know, Now You Know

Hey baby Jags!

The JagGuides are coming at you live this week with some behind the scenes scoop on South Alabama. I'll be hitting you with a few fun facts about our university.

1. OOZEBALL. Once a year, students get together to play volleyball in 6 feet of mud. I know it doesn't sound appealing to most, but every year it is LIT. Everyone looks forward to Oozeball coming around. 


2. Our baseball team, which you can catch in action at Stankey Field, has made 25 appearances in the College World Series tournament. Talk about ballers!


3. The youngest student ever to graduate college was Michael Kearney, who graduated from the University of South Alabama at the age of 10. Child prodigy FTW!



4. The Mitchell Center houses some of our classes. The Mitch is where our basketball games and other events take place, but classes are held here in the basement. Imagine being a freshman walking to your first class and having to navigate through the Mitch to find it. Luckily, there are always people outside directing students to the correct classrooms. 


5. We used to have a real jaguar on campus. No, seriously. We take the JagNation thing seriously around here. During the late 1960's, USA housed a live Jaguar on our campus. 

Join the Jag Fam and maybe you'll learn some more fun facts of your own!

Love & light xx

Laura JagGuide

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Ready For Your Next Chapter

Hey Baby Jags! You're all coming to the end of the road and getting ready to close a large chapter of your life. You may be excited, you may be nervous.. I must admit, I was a little of both. There are a few things you can do to help you prepare for your transition to college. These things definitely helped me be comfortable as I left home and started the next chapter of my academic career. First of all, SCHOLARSHIPS. My entire last semester was devoted to finding scholarships in my community and surrounding areas that I could apply for. College is expensive, as we all know. Many students do not realize how much money is available to them if they just search. Your guidance counselor at your high school should be able to lead you in the right direction if you aren't sure where to start and I would also suggest searching online for scholarship possibilities. Most are simple applications with short essays to accompany them and most people are not aware of many of the scholars

Why South?

Hey baby Jags! The process of choosing a college was extremely difficult for me. Coming from a college town, all of my friends were choosing to stay in Troy instead of venturing off for school. Although this thought crossed my mind, I knew I wanted to "spread my wings" and find a new home.  I finally had to sit down and pray about the situation, asking God to lead me where He felt I would flourish the most. As I researched colleges and weighed my options, I decided to visit South on my mom's request. When I stepped on campus I knew that I found my home away from home. I was close enough to the beach, where many of our family friends live, that I did not feel as if I would be alone if I needed help with anything. The campus was beautiful and the perfect size for me. Also, I knew I wanted to go into an Allied Health profession and the professional programs had great reputations at South.  After my summer semester at South, one of my professors sent me an email that made

We The People...

Hey baby Jags! This semester has gotten off to a great start for me. I hope all of you are enjoying your senior year and making the most of every moment. I'm taking 17 hours this semester, so I have a wide variety of courses in different fields making it hard to choose a favorite. I would say my favorite course so far this semester would be my intro to political science course. My academic adviser encouraged me to take this course in case I one day wanted to achieve my Masters in Public Administration. Being a health sciences major with a Pre-Physical Therapy track, I had taken no humanities classes relating to government or politics since high school. I have learned so much about how our government works, and been able to hear differing opinions from people of many different cultures regarding politics in America. As a matter of fact, I'm about to head to my PoliSci class right now for another 2 and 1/2 hours of knowledge!  Love & light xx Laura Jag Guide